Saturday, July 9, 2011

Birthday Cake Nail Art feat. OPI DS Signature!

I realise I have been absent from the online world this week. I was very suddenly hit with a cold turned chest infection and it just knocked me over completely. Bedridden :-( Thankfully I am starting to feel better and since it's my birthday tomorrow, I have birthday cake nail art!


Ah yes and that is the elusive OPI DS Signature holographic polish. I paid a pretty penny for it. Actually compared to how much OPI costs here in Australia, I didn't pay much at all! Online hauling definitely for the win! I am so sad OPI replaced all the holographic DS polishes with non holographics. They must have bad things in them :-S And after a single day test run I am highly suspicious of this polish being a 'yellow tinging' polish... that doesn't really matter because it's so pretty @_@


So despite the initial sheerness of one coat, two coats was all I needed to get decent coverage. I think the holographic effect definitely takes away from the slight sheerness.


This birthday cake design wasn't too complicated, although there were a few colours involved - China Glaze Snow for the plate,  MAC Ice Cream Cake for the 'cake' (oh how appropriate, I didn't realise that coincidence until JUST then :-), Sephora by OPI The Way Tutu His Heart for the icing, OPI DS Signature for the base, OPI Flit a bit and Fiercely Fiona for the candle flames, and finally Essie Mink Muffs for the candle sticks. Who has brown candle sticks? Yeah I have no idea either :-P


So starting with the plate I drew ovals with a small nail art brush in China Glaze Snow.


Then I drew a sort of can shaped rounded cylinder over the cake plate in MAC Ice Cream Cake. They look like top hats. Cool!


Next I added icing using Sephora by OPI The Way Tutu His Heart. This was a tad sheer so I had to go over it a little bit.


Next I drew the candle sticks with Essie Mink Muffs and added the base of the flame with OPI Flit A Bit. It looks pretty good at this stage, but I decided to go one colour further and add the yellow as shown below:


Finally Fiercely Fiona added for an extra 'flamey' effect and we're done :-)


Close up swatch of thumb and pretty holograpahicness @_@

Well that's all I have for today! I am going to lie down before I get a secondary infection or worse. I'm kind of in that stage where you're getting over a cold but if you push yourself too far you could easily develop another infection. As for birthday presents, one came early as my boyfriend surprised me by taking me to the airport - he arranged for my dad to visit for my birthday! There was a lot of crying on my part, I had NO idea he had organised that! He is such a sweetie. Well, I hope everyone is having a fabulous *germ free* weekend and I shall see you next time!

7 comments:

  1. Hope you start feeling better! Fab nails, really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! I hope you feel better soon xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies, I am feeling much better today. Am looking forward to some cake :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear you're feeling better! Signature looks gorgeous on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Cincly! I have been recovering all week and am now feeling like painting my nails again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I'm going to use it for my bday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...